The family businesses are those that are formed by one or more members of the same family. In this way, both the capital and the management of the business fall on the family nucleus. This organizational model has clear advantages over the rest, such as trust and continuity. However, these elements can become a disadvantage if the company is not running effective and efficient. When the bond between partners is so close, the risk of conflicts between them when managing and making decisions increases. Therefore, in this article, we want to give you some strategies for running a effective and efficient successful family businesses and achieve your path to success.
Steps to follow to run an effective and efficient family businesses.
1. For the organization of the family business to be as efficient and productive as possible, the most advisable thing is to establish the positions based on the skills of the partners who form it. Thus, each of the family members will enjoy doing what they do best and will be able to exploit it to the fullest, increasing the production and profits of the company.
2. One of the fundamental aspects that must be taken into account in order to manage the family business without conflicts is knowing how to separate the family relationship from the work relationship. Taking advantage of the trust and bond created between family members is appropriate to carry out good business management. But, transferring family problems and conflicts to the organization of the company can lead to its failure.
3. In this sense, it is important to understand that a business should not be run the same as a family. Despite working with your family members, during working hours you are all co-workers and, outside of it, parents and children, brothers, uncles and nephews, etc. This means that it is convenient to separate the times and establish some hours to work and others for free time.
4. To maintain a correct organization of the family business it is essential to respect the hierarchy levels, as well as to offer all employees the same opportunities. On many occasions, family businesses offer their family members privileged treatment compared to other workers of the same rank, a fact that disturbs the workforce. To avoid discontent among workers and maintain productivity, it is important that all members of the same job level have the same treatment.
5. Setting objectives and strategies to follow is essential to manage the family business. This organizational model is used to making each of the decisions and creating the different social bodies based on the particularities of the family, configuring its own image and characteristics. In this sense, it is important to establish a Family Council made up of members with strategic capacities.
6. The Family Protocol is an essential step to manage the family business correctly. At the time of doing so, all members must put on the table each of their interests, objectives and types of relationships with the other members in order to create a common document with guidelines and norms to be followed on a day-to-day basis.
7. It is advisable to stipulate the generational succession in advance to ensure the continuity of the family business. It is important to be prepared for any setback and to know who will be the next business leader.
8. Take into account all these tips to run a family business and increase the efficiency and productivity of your business. Remember that poor management can lead to the failure of your company and, in the worst cases, even damage family relationships.