Opening a butcher shop today is an adventure and requires a little capital, some contacts, but above all a lot of self-confidence, energy and perseverance. In this article we want to give you some keys when creating a butcher shop, documentation, bureaucracy, financing, meat suppliers, meat preservation processes, return, etc. Read carefully and if you have any questions leave a comment and if we can we will help you to open the project of your life, the meat and sausage store.
Steps to follow:
1. One of the key aspects when opening a meat and sausage store is the hiring of staff, think that the attention is practically individualized and having a friendly and attentive person can make people come back and buy at ease.
2. If you want to open a meat store, one of the most important things is the location, you should look for a busy street, if it can be pedestrian, a very good location for this type of store is near the municipal markets or near the greengrocers since the target audience is usually the same.
3. Profile of the entrepreneur who sets up a butcher shop. One of the advantages of setting up a meat store is that it does not present great difficulties to carry it out since it does not require previous experience or training, although it is convenient to know how to work in the sector. It will be ideal for people who have a desire to undertake and are willing to acquire knowledge about the articles and how the business works.
4. When talking about the margins of a meat business, the first thing to consider is that products are sold at different prices and that some of them lose value or must be discarded entirely. Thus, the gross margin on the purchase price estimated by the sector for a retail business dedicated to the sale of meats and sausages ranges between 20 and 50% of the purchase price at which the waste will have to be discounted, which is around 10-20% of the merchandise purchased.
5. The costs and steps that must be taken into account to open a butcher shop are the following:
- rent or purchase of the premises
- conditioning of the premises, external signs, shelves, refrigerators, etc. This can be around € 30,000
- cold room, about € 10,000
- first purchase of meat and sausages: € 2000
- constitution of the scup or sly between € 500 and € 3000
How do you see setting up a butcher shop can cost € 20,000, not counting the purchase of the premises?
6. The butcher’s sector is one of the largest subgroups of the food sector, the greengrocer is the most stable establishment in the sale of its products. In addition, while the sales of other products such as dairy products, packaged foods, etc. have grown. Of the large supermarkets, meat and sausage continue to be acquired mainly in traditional butcher shops. The reason for this is that most consumers associate more freshness and quality in the meat and sausages sold in butchers than those sold in supermarkets and department stores, in addition to most of the purchases made in these large areas, they have a majority periodicity of 15 days or a month. The demand for meat products basically comes from the environment close to its location. Therefore, the clients will be the families residing in the immediate areas of the premises or people who frequently pass through this area. For these reasons, we recommend that you open a butcher shop in places with a lot of traffic and a lot of population.
7. The key to the success of a butcher shop is to always offer fresh quality meat at competitive prices and, above all, an exquisite treatment.
To achieve a quality offer, it is essential to know the tastes of the clients and gradually adapt the variety of products to the clients’ needs. For example, currently there are companies that are adding exotic and ecological products to their offer, while others are introducing themselves in the sale through the internet.
A good way to know what products customers like and to make customers know the products is to give them a try. For this, you can do tastings of new products that are intended to be incorporated into the butcher’s offer.
It is also essential to differentiate yourself from the competition through services that provide value to customers. For example, it can be allowed to order by phone and, in addition, if the customer cannot go to the greengrocer to pick it up, it is delivered to his home.
8. Pricing strategy of a butcher shop is developed on this project should be based on offering a quality product at competitive prices. For this reason, the setting of prices will be oriented according to the prices of the competition, taking into account that there will be certain items that we have to sell at aggressive prices, especially in the beginning, to attract the client and get them to try the products. products.