Opening a bar today is an adventure and requires a bit of a head, some contacts, but above all a lot of self-confidence, energy and perseverance. In this article we want to give you some keys on how to open a bar, documentation, bureaucracy, financing, suppliers, cooks, waiters, etc. Read carefully and if you have any questions leave a comment and if we can we will help you with information on how to open your bar.
1. Select the place when you’ll open a bar carefully.
It does not matter if you are buying an existing bar with a plan to renovate and change it according to your needs, or if you buy a lot or plot and plan to build it from scratch, location is a key factor in success. You must have a bar that is easily accessible for customers and has visibility.
2. Location to open a bar is critical
If you want to open a bar, one of the most important things is the location, you should look for a very busy street, preferably pedestrian. Bars require quite a few customers and you will achieve that if many people pass by your store. You can also consider getting a bar in a shopping center.
3. Bar size
Don’t worry about the size of the bar, a bar is easy to move in case you need a larger space. Adjust the expenses of your new business to your needs and then you can adjust it as the business grows.
4. Bar the decoration
The decoration of the bar is key, it is important that the customer feels comfortable, so try to create an environment that encourages them to stay longer in the bar and thus increase the chances of making a sale. To decorate the bar, it is recommended that you make a robot portrait of the type of customer you want your establishment to have, a tip is to put human adjectives to the bar: elegant, mature, sober, etc. This will help you decorate the bar.
5. Think about what it means to open a bar
The bar is a very slave business since many hours are made, a way to limit the dedication a bit can be only to make meals or tapas. If you want to make meals, more bar your schedule can be from 7 in the morning to 12 at night. Take this into account to determine the staff that the bar needs.
6. Hire bartenders
Pay close attention to the bartenders you hire, a bar is successful largely thanks to the staff who work, since there is usually not much difference between the quality of the products, in a bar people make a difference. We recommend that the bar staff have the same style or age as the customers.
7. Make a business project for your bar
It is important that before starting the whole process to open a bar you do some numbers to see if it is a viable business or not. We recommend that the numbers be based on these criteria:
- – Number of people who will pass in front of the premises
- -% of people who will enter the bar
- – Average price of what people will consume
- – Margin on sales
- – Bar costs: staff, material, supplies, etc.
8. Documentation to open a bar
The documentation necessary to open a bar is quite extensive and with many steps, read them carefully to know what you have to do:
- Obtain the municipal activity license (environmental license) for a bar or cafeteria, in the case of a bar, or a restaurant. You can see here how to apply for an activities and facilities license.
- Request authorization to open and register the company in the Registry of Tourist Companies and Activities of the corresponding autonomous community. These procedures can often be carried out jointly. To obtain authorization, a technical project of the bar or restaurant must be attached, with the corresponding plans and the environmental license.
- Obtain the identification plate of the bar or restaurant and place it outside the establishment in a visible place. It is a plate with a blue background, with the white letter R for restaurants, or the white letters R and B for restaurant-bars.
Have the claim forms available so that they are available to the customers of the bar or restaurant, duly communicating their availability.