In businesses, especially large companies and corporations, reporting is one of the most common activities carried out by employees. The reports are very useful to summarize and make known how a certain idea has been carried out within the company, for example a charity event or a new investment. In addition, positive reports will make it possible to find new investors, if the company needs them. In this article we will explain how to make a management report.
Steps to follow to make a management report:
1. The management report must be carry out by the person who has directed or administered what the report is made on. For example, if a company opens a new store in another country, the person in charge of making the report will be the one who has directed the creation of this store, or a group of people with sufficient knowledge, designated by the one who has directed it.
2. To begin the report itself, we must incorporate a header in which we include the following information:
- Document type
- Date of which it is
- Department that elaborates it
- Company or body to which it belongs
- Who is it for (if the audience is very broad and diverse, it is not necessary)?
3. There should be an introduction in which a brief statement of the reasons for this report is made, in such a way that whoever reads it has the basic information to understand the entire document. That is, why the report was made, what is its central object of study and what was taken into account to prepare it.
4. The development of the report will vary considerably depending on the type of subject to be exhibited for whom we want to do it and the depth with which we do it.
However, there are key points that are common to all reports:
- Background: reasons for the report and the study.
- Information sources: where do we obtain the information to do so.
- Methodology: from what point of view and procedures have been used to study the subject.
- Problems encountered: what limitations have we encountered when making the report.
- Other data of consideration: usually referring to relevant data on the economy or legal situation. In the event that the report deals with an investment or similar matter, these will be the pillars on which the report is based.
5. To finish the report, we will make a presentation of conclusions and recommendations. With the conclusions we will be able to concentrate the information on those purely important and considerable data, in such a way that the reader can only have a more than sufficient idea of the purpose of the study by reading it. Regarding the recommendations, these should be formulated in such a way that they are realistic and useful for the company, about how to improve the data obtained or guidelines to carry out their projects in a more satisfactory way.